Voices of Central Australia Forum Index

Register

Voices of Central Australia Forum Index FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Rum Jungle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Voices of Central Australia Forum Index -> In the front line -> No nuclear
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Evelyne
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug - 18:56 (2012)    Post subject: Rum Jungle Reply with quote

The Rum Jungle mine closed in 1971. The Federal Government (who controlled the mine through its agency the Australian Atomic Energy Commission (AAEC), now known as Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO)) decided not to rehabilitate the mine site. The mining company Conzinc (now part of the Rio Tinto Group, who own Energy Resources of Australia (ERA), operators of the Ranger Uranium Mine in Kakadu National Park) have consistently denied any responsibility for rehabilitation. This led to the mine becoming one of Australia's worst polluter owing to oxidation of sulphides by bacteria and the subsequent release of acid and metals into the East Finniss River. The 1500 mm annual rainfall coupled with the pyritic mineralisation in the area created ideal conditions for such oxidation

Taylor,G. Spain,A. Nefiodovas,A. Timms,G. Kuznetsov,V. Bennett, J. (2003). "Determination of the reasons for deterioration of the Rum Jungle waste rock cover". Australian Centre for Mining Environmental Research.
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Environment (2002). "Rum Jungle Monitoring Report 1993-1998". Technical Report 2002/1. pp. 176–9.
Mudd, G. (2004). "The continuing Rum Jungle dilemma : accounting for ground-surface water interactions in AMD polluted systems". Uranium Mining and Hydrogeology Conference, UMH IV.
Brown's Oxide - Natural Resources, Environment and the Arts
http://kakadu.nt.gov.au/pls/portal30/docs/FOLDER/TOPENDSECRET/ATTACHMENTS/A…
http://aspect.comsec.com.au/asxdata/20060505/pdf/00612091.pdf
Publicité

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug - 18:56 (2012)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Voices of Central Australia Forum Index -> In the front line -> No nuclear All times are GMT + 9.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation